Wednesday, 16 November 2016

British Open 2016

Hi,

The British Open is now underway with the early rounds. For those that haven't been to the Queen's Club to watch the Open won't realise that there is a new edition to the championship court in that the Queen's Club added 3 big glass windows above the service end back penthouse; it is a great spot to watch the Tennis from. I highly recommend that you make the journey down to the Queen's Club over the next 5 or so days and catch the best tennis played in the country this year.

Round of 16 - Tuesday 15th
This years opponent in my 1st round was a tricky one in the form of the very talented Ricardo Smith from Prested Hall. Although Ricardo is playing much more Padel Tennis (the Spanish game) than Real Tennis Ricardo was always going to be a tricky customer. Ricardo had also had the opportunity to play a competitive match on Sunday where he beat local Professional Andrew Fowler in straight sets.

After a slow start where I not only found myself 2/5 down but also at 0-40 facing 3 set points, I finally found some form and came back to take what proved to be a vital 1st set 6/5.
I continued the form of late in the 1st set to rattle off the 2nd set 6/2. The 3rd set was tight struggle but importantly I was able to keep my nose in front the whole way, at 3 all I went 4/3 up and again at 4 all I went 5/4 up, when the 10th game of the set began I was importantly at the service end where I put up some good serves and was able to get a couple of cheap points to clinch the match in straight sets 6/5 6/2 6/4. A very tricky match out of the way.
I had planned to serve a fast railroad serve but I just couldn't get it on the money and ended up relying on a mixture of Bobble 1st serves and the occasional Giraffe serve. It's actually the 1st time in my career where I have served the Bobble as a 1st serve. Ricardo was using it early in the match and after a while I had decided to do it as well with what turned out to be great effect.

I now move on to play the winner of the Rob Fahey v John Lumley match in the Quarter Finals where I have to admit I'm preparing to play the old Champ. I am still looking for my 1st victory over Fahey and I believe its not far away...
The match is scheduled for 2pm GMT and streaming is available on the T&RA YouTube channel

Hope to see you at the Open in the coming days

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment